Inclement weather can cause power outages, flooding or damage to your home. These can be serious issues for anyone, but people who are living with a chronic condition have special considerations and preparation is especially important. Here are some tips to help you prepare for a large storm.
- Ensure that you have enough medication on hand to safely manage your condition.
- Pack a bag with clothes, water, an emergency radio and a flashlight.
- Check flashlight and emergency radio batteries and keep extras on hand.
- Store at least two days’ worth of water for each person in the house.
- Keep emergency health information readily available, including contact information (personal, emergency and doctor), medical history and medication lists.
- If you have a generator, make sure it works and that you have enough fuel to run it for three days.
- Locate shelters nearby, so you can go to one if you lose power. If you evacuate your home, tell your family and friends where you’re going. To find your nearest shelter, you can: