One of the most important parts of an exercise program is to start it. Physical activity like walking or running may help you lead a healthier and happier life. You don’t need big blocks of time to exercise. Squeeze in activity throughout the day.
Start with 10 minutes at a time
You can break your activity up into 10-minute blocks of time to start. Aim to do exercises that target the major muscle groups at least two days a week. Also, be sure to check with your doctor before starting a program or increasing your activity level.
More tips for fitting fitness into your life:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Start gardening.
- Work out with a friend.
- Take your dog for a daily walk.
- Put exercise on your calendar.
- Move while you watch TV, like marching in place.
- Sign up for a class, like yoga.
- Keep it fun.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be medical advice or a substitute for professional health care. You should consult an appropriate health care professional for your specific needs.