Obesity is a serious health concern
Obesity is a growing concern and a serious health problem in the United States. It may be affecting your members and result in higher costs for you.
- 45% of working-age Americans age 40-59, classified as obese1
- 21% national medical spend because of obesity2
Obesity related conditions include some of the leading causes of preventable death5
- Type 2 diabetes
- Certain cancers
- Heart disease
- Sleep apnea
Consider carving out benefits for complex medical conditions like bariatric surgery with the Optum Bariatric Resource Services (BRS).
Optum BRS will enable you to reduce medical expenses associated with bariatric surgery. It also provides support for your members, their family members, and caregivers, increasing potential for success.
Centers of Excellence (COE)
- Clinically superior compared to most non-COEs performing bariatric surgeries
- Evaluated annually to ensure highest quality and best value:
- Annual volume of surgeries
- Number and experience of surgeons
- Complications and mortality rate
- Length of program existence
- Multidisciplinary team
Clinical nurse case management
- Pre- and post-surgical telephonic clinical case management by dedicated BRS nursing staff
- Provide education on the benefits of choosing a COE facility
- Provide post-surgical follow up to ensure behavior/lifestyle modification and reduce complications
- Specialized bariatric experience