It's about time
You’ve been hoping for a faster, simpler, more streamlined process that can give clinical authorization approvals within seconds. Who wants to spend time waiting on hold?
Smart Technology Authorization Request (STAR) is a whole new experience when you’re requesting an authorization of care. Created with care through real behavioral health professional input and testing, it reinvents the process to expedite approvals and take less of your time.
STAR confirms patient eligibility and benefits to save time. It asks a limited number of relevant questions about the patient’s symptoms and severity, risk and proposed treatment. Then, it instantly reviews the information, comparing it with industry-recognized guidelines and best practices.
STAR submissions take less than 10 minutes to enter, and about 50% are approved in real time. Even when an Optum care advocate collects additional clarifying information via chat, STAR takes 30% less time on average than a standard clinical review.*
"The order of the questions goes from admission to discharge, which is exactly how we would provide care anyway. I like this much better."
– Behavioral health staff in Nebraska
“The real-time response is great. If patients must wait too long to be admitted, they often become frustrated and leave …”
– Behavioral health staff in Texas
STAR product features
- You only need to provide the most relevant clinical information
for your patient.
- A real-time chat feature allows for easy exchange of information if necessary.
- You’ll experience fewer delays and more first-contact resolutions.
- The save-as-draft feature allows you to begin
a request now and complete it later.
- STAR is easy to learn through a self-paced, 60-minute online training.
*Optum STAR key metrics program data from in-network facilities authorizing behavioral health treatment admissions to inpatient, residential and partial hospital levels of care for members from May 2021 to July 2021, McCarthy, August 2021.