Mr. Becker is a partner at the Chicago law firm of McGuireWoods and publisher of Becker's Hospital Review.
Early due diligence
Can your partner share data safely?
- According to a new survey, 57 percent of health plan executives feel physicians do not have the tools to succeed under value-based care.
- In 2018 alone, there were more than 351 data breaches impacting 13,020,821 records.
Are they committed to compliance?
- Violations of the Stark Law — even when accidental — can run into the tens of millions of dollars and some payouts have been in the hundreds of millions.
- In 2018, HHS collected a record $28.7 million from providers and payers for HIPAA violations.
Is your partner's claims process clean?
- The federal government collected $2.5 billion in False Claims Act settlements from the health industry in 2018.
- $31.6 billion was lost in 2018 due to coding mistakes, double billing, upcoding and insufficient documentation.
- PR Newswire. New Study Reveals Stalled Progress Toward Value-Based Care.
- HIPAA Journal. Largest Healthcare Data Breaches of 2018.
- Becker's Hospital Review. 15 things to know about Stark Law.
- 99MGMT. 9 Crazy (And Expensive) Stark Law Violation Examples.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. OCR Concludes 2018 with All-Time Record Year for HIPAA Enforcement.
- HealthLeaders. Top 5 Healthcare Sector Fraud Settlements For 2018.
- Council for Medicare Integrity. Error Rate Drops, but Medicare Still Lost $31.6 Billion to Preventable Billing Errors in FY2018.