Advancing Quit Services: Fresh Insights for States
Leveraging technology for the future of Quit Services
Technology, tobacco products and who uses tobacco are changing, and Optum Quit Services are evolving to meet those changes.
Our new digitally driven program provides a clear path to quitting, accommodates the personal journey and offers an abundance of support along the way — all wrapped in the evidence-based principles of behavior change.
A tobacco user’s tech-enabled journey
Ken, age 41, has tried to quit smoking cigarettes multiple times. As a truck driver, he is often on the road, which makes it hard to connect with telephonic quit services, or in person programs. Another driver at Ken’s company was finally able to quit with the help of Optum Quit Services and convinced Ken to give it a try.
Click on the circle icons below to see Ken’s journey.
Activation & Reactivation
Ken texts the Quit Service in his state and enrolls in minutes — without having to wait to talk to anyone.
Step 1: Prepare to quit with confidence
- TODAY: Online enrollment
- UPCOMING: Mobile and text enrollment
- Ken reviews quit aids available to him through Quit Services and answers questions online to make sure they are medically appropriate.
Step 2: Make a plan with a coach
- TODAY: Live calls
- UPCOMING: 1:1 with a coach via phone, text or chat
- Because Ken is on the road frequently, his hours are unpredictable. Instead of scheduling calls with his coach, he opts to chat online when he has a few minutes to build his quit plan.
Step 3: Build up with mini quits
- As his quit date approaches, Ken tracks his mini quits on his mobile app. Mini quits help him find ways to manage his urges. Seeing his past successes builds confidence to keep going.
Step 4: Conquer your cravings
- Ken responds to the automated support texts he has been receiving by texting the word COACH and is connected with a live person to talk through some urges he is having.
Step 5: Embrace a healthier lifestyle
- TODAY: Online learning
- UPCOMING: Group video sessions
- Ken accesses his dashboard and clicks on the action card to view the expert led course on how to manage his stress.
Step 6: Stay tobacco free
- TODAY: Get social support from family and friends
- UPCOMING: Post-quit group coaching sessions to share strategies for success
- After some nudging from his coach, Ken joins a group video session. He’s surprised by how much he can relate to the other people who have quit — and picks up a couple of tips during the session.
6-7 months post his registration, Ken receives a messaging asking whether he has had a pinch or puff in the past 30 days. Ken is happy to report he is quit!
Today: Text2Quit™ and online learning
Upcoming: Pre-quit group coaching sessions to build motivation and increase confidence
Optum® is a registered trademark of Optum, Inc. in the U.S. and other jurisdictions. All other brand or product names are the property of their respective owners. Because we are continuously improving our products and services, Optum reserves the right to change specifications without prior notice. Optum is an equal opportunity employer.
© 2021 Optum, Inc. All rights reserved.