Everyone can benefit from wellness coaching: those who are at risk for developing a chronic condition or trying to manage one, as well as those who are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our wellness coaches meet your employees where they are, offering one-to-one support by phone, online, on site and on the go via mobile devices. Optum coaches receive training in multiple areas, with a special focus on:
- Diabetes lifestyle
- Tobacco cessation
- Stress management
- Heart-healthy lifestyle
Our dedicated coaches offer individualized support that helps people create and maintain healthy habits and prevent chronic disease from affecting the quality of their lives.
Health results consultations
Empower employees to take charge of their health. Once an employee has completed a biometric screening or health assessment, Optum reaches out to talk about the next steps in living a healthier life. During their health results consultation, employees learn about our wellness coaching programs and the benefits of taking part. We can enroll them in a coaching program and refer them to other relevant health programs available through their employer.
QuitPower® is a tobacco-cessation program that helps people create lasting changes and quit using tobacco for good. The program is customized to each person’s unique needs and readiness to change. It includes up to eight scheduled one-to-one coaching calls with a certified tobacco-cessation specialist, combined with home-delivered nicotine replacement therapy products to optimize success rates. We use online health assessments, on-site biometric screenings, claims analysis, employee self-identification and clinical referrals to identify counseling candidates.
Our highly trained coaches are personally committed to helping each member achieve a healthy and happy lifestyle. According to our most recent effectiveness study, nearly 39% of QuitPower participants reported not smoking as of their last coach call on record, and 65% who completed the program quit smoking.
- Dedicated and cross-trained coaches
- Communication materials to drive awareness and participation
- Additional mail-based and online support materials, including online health coach, tools, trackers and pedometer
- Limitless program enrollment
- High-intensity model that targets individuals who require more support than our standard tobacco-cessation program
- Scheduled outbound and limitless inbound calling for ongoing contact
- Coaching for all stages of change
- Healthier, happier and more loyal employees
- Outcome-based reporting that looks at behavior change through more than 60 reporting metrics
- Seamless user experience that integrates with other Optum programs
More than one in three adults in the U.S. is obese. That equates to $147 billion in health care costs, or 10% of total health care spending.* Our new Enhanced Healthy Weight program reaches employees through multiple touch points, including:
- Mobile apps for food tracking that syncs with the coach’s dashboard
- Personal support by phone from a dedicated coach
- Online learning sessions and two-way email communications
- Smart Scale that syncs member’s weight into the coach’s dashboard
These capabilities attract more people to engage in the program, with higher program completion rates and more completed coaching sessions. The results are greater weight loss for more employees — and reduced health care costs for everyone.
*Source: American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. With a very heavy heart: Obesity and cardiovascular disease; March 2013. www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@adv/documents/downloadable/ucm_305059.pdf
The wellness coaching program should not be used for emergency or urgent care needs. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. The information provided through the wellness coaching program is for informational purposes only and provided as part of your health plan. The health and wellness team cannot diagnose problems or recommend treatment and are not a substitute for your doctor’s care. Your health information is kept confidential in accordance with the law. The wellness coaching program is not an insurance program and may be discontinued at any time.