Social determinants of health
Discover a non-clinical approach to health and well-being.
Achieving a next-generation model of health care
Social determinants of health (SDOH) impact all populations and affect a wide range of health, functioning and quality-of-life outcomes and risks.
- Health care costs are inversely related to socio-economic status.1
- Food insecurity is a primary driver of emergency room visits.2
- COVID-19 outcomes can be considerably impacted by SDOH.3
The Optum approach incorporates health literacy, health disparities, and elements of personal and social determinants of health to create health equity. Download the white paper to learn more.
1. Braveman P, Gottlieb L. The social determinants of health: It’s time to consider the causes of the causes. Public Health Rep. 2014;129(Suppl 2):19–31.
2. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. County Health Rankings, 2014. countyhealthrankings.org/sites/default/files/2014%20County%20Health%20Rankings%20Key%20Findings.pdf. Accessed June 28, 2021.
3. Abrams EM, Szefler SJ. COVID-19 and the impact of social determinants of health. Lancet Resp Med. 2020;8(7):659–661.