Proven research expertise
The Optum® HEOR respiratory team has designed and conducted studies to support products for asthma, COPD and other respiratory diseases, leading to numerous conference presentations and publications in top clinical journals.
Researchers on the respiratory team have a broad range of backgrounds and expertise, including HEOR, epidemiology, geriatrics, pharmacy benefit management, biostatistics, public health and basic science research.
Research topics and capabilities
Recent research projects include topics in asthma, COPD, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, allergic rhinitis, respiratory syncytial virus, pertussis, influenza and pneumonia.
Research topics and key capabilities include:
Medication treatment patterns and trends
- Lines of controller therapy, medication switching patterns
- Treatment persistence and compliance
- Burden of rescue medication use
Disease severity classification
- Severity classification by GINA step, NHLBI stage, GOLD stage
- Eosinophil and IgE levels
- Lung function test results (e.g. FEV1, FVC)
Burden of disease
- COPD- and asthma-related exacerbations
- Impact of patient management programs
- Disease incidence
- Health care utilization and costs